Monday, December 27, 2010

Communitcation Error

     Recently (meaning this morning), my parents forgot to pay the phone company. I first realized this when I received a text message from my alien lover. When I attempted to send my reply my the screen of my phone declared, 

"NETWORK NOT RESPONDING MESSAGE SAVED IN SENT"

     There are many problems with this, but, one in particular that I would like to discuss: grammar and usage of capital letters.

     Because I have been through ten fine years of grammatical education, the lack of grammatical usage in this notification is disturbing to me. Correctly written, this might say, "The network is not responding; message is to be saved in 'sent.'" I suppose that this is a bit lengthy to fit on the tiny screen of my red Juke, but the grammatically aware are suffering. When ever I see any of the excessively capitalized alerts that it has to say, I feel like it is screaming them at me with angst.

So when I see this:
My brain thinks this:

     Although, I am aware of the fact that my phone's attitude towards me is my own fault. It has expressed its concern of brain damage, because I drop it much more frequently than it's previous owner, my father. It doesn't truly appreciate the effort it requires to try to reply to a text message while showering, and is disgruntled with the tiny amounts of water that have soaked into it's keys over time. It complains that I sometimes confuse it by receiving too many text messages in one second, causing it to have to shut itself down and restart so it can think again. And, when it realized that I am to be receiving a Droid soon, our relationship was not good at all.

     It now only charges at a very obscure angle perched on my lamp that connects to my bed, and it insists me memory is far to full to send one little text message. And, the keys are short circuited, so only the spin wheel and the left key respond to my prodding. So I turned it off and made it a little bed to let it rest until my parents pay the bill. It deserves a vacation for being such a loyal phone, through my abuse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment